Is This a Hangover or Alcohol Poisoning?

Is This a Hangover or Alcohol Poisoning?

If you feel like your life is in danger from alcohol poisoning, you should immediately call for emergency services and paramedics. That being said, there is a difference between a hangover and alcohol poisoning that can prove to be life-threatening. Knowing the difference can save your life.

What Is a Hangover?

A hangover can be thought of as a moderate overdose of alcohol in your system. It is generally a lot easier to recover from a hangover, but the severity of your hangover will depend on the following factors:

  • The type of alcohol that you were drinking
  • Whether the alcohol was taken with pills or other drugs
  • How much alcohol you ingested

The symptoms of a hangover will differ between people; depending on their age, their overall health, and their tolerance level for alcohol. The symptoms of a hangover include the following:

  • Pounding headache
  • Light sensitivity
  • Sensitivity to loud sounds
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Fatigue
  • Dizziness
  • High blood pressure
  • Increased thirst
  • Excessive sweating

As a general rule, your hangover symptoms will last about 24 hours, again depending on your age, health, and the type of alcohol you were drinking.

Alcohol Poisoning and Alcohol Overdose

Many people confuse the symptoms of alcohol poisoning with those of drunkenness or a hangover. However, alcohol poisoning symptoms tend to be a lot more severe than a hangover and should receive medical treatment as soon as possible. These symptoms include the following:

  • Vomiting, often uncontrollable and seemingly never-ending
  • Extreme confusion and an inability to answer simple questions
  • Irregular and shallow breathing; fewer than eight breaths in the span of a minute
  • Cold and clammy skin
  • Seizures
  • Loss of consciousness

If you believe that you or someone you know suffers from alcohol poisoning it is imperative that you immediately call 911. There are a few home remedies that many might suggest, but it is recommended that you call 911 instead. Alcohol poisoning is life-threatening, so if you are aware of severe alcohol overdose symptoms, do the responsible thing and seek out medical attention.

Help for Alcohol Poisoning

Call our toll-free 24 hour helpline. We can offer help with alcohol overdose counseling; this will allow us to examine the reasons that the overdose occurred in the first place. Perhaps the alcoholism goes deeper than a drinking problem; perhaps depression played a role, too. Our compassionate counselors are waiting to take your call. Calls are confidential and can help you to understand the best methods of moving forward from an alcohol overdose.